CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, VISTA BANK
VICE-CHAIRMAN, VISTA BANCSHARES
John D. Steinmetz
John D. Steinmetz serves as the CEO of Vista Bank. Overseeing all aspects of Vista Bank’s commercial and retail functions, he directs strategic goals, policies, employee and shareholder relations. At the time of his appointment to Bank CEO, the 111 year-old company was a West Texas bank domiciled in Ralls, headquartered in Lubbock, and focused primarily on agricultural lending. Leading the charge on a rebrand that would encourage urban market expansion with small business and middle market companies, John Steinmetz grew the Bank’s capital and influence, expanding the footprint into the Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin and Palm Beach markets.
Since taking the helm, Steinmetz has ensured disciplined organic growth exceeding 700% in the last decade, breaking the top 100 Banks in Texas by asset size list.
Vice-Chairman of the holding company, Vista Bancshares, John Steinmetz is laser-focused on continually increasing shareholder value.
In the wake of the global pandemic, Steinmetz made certain the Bank was on the front lines of the CARES Act, participating in an exclusive community bank DC roundtable with U.S. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and U.S. Senator Ted Cruz and rising to Dallas entrepreneur Mark Cuban’s challenge helping minority-owned businesses better access the Paycheck Protection Program.
A graduate of the Texas Tech University Rawls College of Business, Steinmetz holds the prestigious honor of being the youngest person ever appointed to the Texas Tech University System Board of Regents. First appointed in 2011 by Governor Rick Perry, he was subsequently reappointed in 2017 by Governor Greg Abbott. Chairman of the Finance and Audit Committee of the two-billion-dollar university for two terms, Steinmetz fought to keep education attainable while serving the students of his alma mater.
A 2022 DCEO Financial Executive Award Nominee for Outstanding Public Service, 2021 DCEO Dallas 500 recipient, 2019 Dallas Business Journal (DBJ) Most-Admired CEO, 2018 honoree of the DBJ and Fort Worth Business Press 40 Under 40 programs, John’s leadership earned the Bank the multiple listings on the SMU Cox School of Business Dallas 100, and Dallas Business Journal’s Middle-Market 50 list. Steinmetz is a member of the Young Professionals Organization (YPO), the Dallas Museum of Art’s Budget & Finance Committee, and serves on the Dallas Citizens Council’s Board of Directors. Having relocated the Vista Bank domicile to Dallas due to his belief in the strong North Texas economy, Steinmetz prioritizes philanthropic efforts throughout the state.
- Texas Tech University System, Past Board of Regents
- Young Presidents’ Organization, Member
- Dallas Citizens Council, Director
- Dallas Museum of Art Budget & Finance Committee, Member
- Texas Tech University System, Chancellor’s Council
- Texas Lyceum, Past Director
- Boys and Girls Club, Past Board President
- U.S. Senate Leadership Summit, Past Texas Delegate
- Texas Tech Student Government Association, Past President
- 2022 D CEO Financial Executive Award Recipient
- 2022 & 2021 D CEO Dallas 500 Honoree
- 2019 Dallas Business Journal Most Admired CEO Honoree
- 2018 Dallas Business Journal 40 Under 40 Honoree
- 2018 Fort Worth Business Press 40 Under 40 Honoree
- 2013 Young Professionals of Lubbock 20 Under 40 Honoree
- 2012 Small Business Administration Financial Service Champion Award Recipient
- Volunteer Center of Lubbock, Past Lubbock Young Professional of the Year
Texas Tech University, B.B.A. Finance, Emphasis in Real Estate
Texas Tech University, School of Community Banking
Words to Live By
Loyalty is king.